The Cranky Weekly Review is taking a break this week since we’ve been so busy with the awards that we’ve barely had time to keep up on the news. It’ll be back as normal next Friday.
Thank you to everyone who joined in last night and watched the Cranky Network Awards presented by Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport live! I’m just going to assume it went great, the audio was perfect, and you loved absolutely every joke. I have no choice but to assume that, because I wrote this post before the event, and there’s no way I’m going to be functioning enough to change this before it goes live… if it didn’t go quite as planned.
If for some reason you missed it — and I have no idea what terrible excuse you may have made up to justify that transgression — you can always watch it right here. But for those who hate jokes and fun and just want the details, well, here are the winners…
- American for Miami to Tortola/Beef Island (Sexiest New Route – Short-Haul)
- Hawaiian for Honolulu to Raratonga (Sexiest New Route – Long-Haul)
- Sun Country for Refocusing on MSP (Calculated Risk Award presented by Embraer)
- Qantas for Dallas/Fort Worth – Melbourne (Kingsford Smith Southern Cross Award presented by Oakland International Airport)
- Breeze for Los Angeles – Westchester County (Best Aircraft-Enabled Opportunity)
- Frontier for Getting JetBlue and Spirit Together (Matchmaker Award)
- United with Emirates (Most Promising New Partnership presented by Pittsburgh International Airport)
- Anthony Gilmer at Louisville Regional Airport Authority (Best Airport Partner)
- United for UA 769 for the last 3 digits in the 2nd row of the Sagrada Familia’s Magic Square (Most Clever Flight Number)
- Delta (Regional Apocalypse Survivor Award presented by Landline)
- Spirit for Los Angeles – Newark (Route Victory Award)
- Alaska for Seattle – Midcontinent Flying (Network Victory Award presented by Boeing)
- Frontier for Growth into Larger Markets (Most Improved Network presented by Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport)
We also handed out eight technical awards with Cirium using their data to identify some pretty cool metrics, if I do say so myself.
- Frequency Growth Chamption: JetBlue for biggest growth in domestic frequency per market at +34.6 percent
- New Load Factor Champion: Allegiant for Akron-Canton to Sarasota at 93.1 percent
- New Traffic Champion: United Newark – San Francisco + 370,878 passengers in 2022 vs 2021
- Gate Utilization Champion: American at Austin Gate 23 with 10.9 turns per day
- Aircraft Air Time Champion: Delta A350 N515DN with 14.76 hours per day
- Aircraft Air Time Champion (Regional): American/Envoy Embraer 175 N260NN with 7.94 hours per day
- Aircraft Cycle Champion (Mainland): Southwest 737-700 N940WN with 5.86 cycles per day
- Aircraft Cycle Champion: Southern/Mokulele N2150 with 8.6 cycles per day
If you’d like to hear the backstories on these, you’ll need to watch the event where we trot out numbers and explain in greater detail. Dave and I will also be putting a podcast out where we talk more about the winners.
Thanks to everyone for watching. And now, you can mark your calendars for February 22, 2024 when we will come to you live from Berkeley, California thanks to next year’s presenting sponsor, Oakland International Airport!